OSHA Citations – Top 10 for 2018
- December 18, 2018
- 0 comments
- Bob Krell
- Posted in FeaturedSafety
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there were a total of 5,190 fatal work injuries recorded in the United States as recently as 2016. This was a 7% increase from the 4,836 fatal injuries reported the year before.
To protect workers by preventing injuries and deaths, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) enforces standards and regulations that cover a wide range of potential hazards. These hazards can imperil worker health and safety, and by law, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees.
In an effort to improve workplace safety each year, OSHA releases a list of the 10 most frequently cited safety and health violations for the fiscal year. The list is compiled from workplace inspections conducted by OSHA staff, but do not include violations found by state enforcement agencies. For 2018, fall protection was the most-cited standard for the eighth year in a row.
The preliminary list of OSHA’s Top 10 Citations for fiscal year 2018 includes:
1. Fall Protection – General Requirements (7,720 violations)
2. Hazard Communication (4,552 violations)
3. Scaffolds – General Requirements (3,336 violations)
4. Respiratory Protection (3,118 violations)
5. Lockout/Tagout (2,944 violations)
6. Ladders (2,812 violations)
7. Powered Industrial Trucks (2,294 violations)
8. Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1,982 violations)
9. Machine Guarding (1,972 violations)
10. Personal Protection and Lifesaving Equipment – Eye and Face Protection (1,536 violations)
After years of releasing the Top 10 list, it unfortunately changes little. OSHA urges employers to go beyond the minimal requirements to create a culture of safety at work, which has been shown to reduce costs, raise productivity and improve morale.
These are just a few things to know about the preliminary Top 10 list of OSHA citations for 2018.
The IAQ Video Network, a division of Cochrane & Associates, LLC, produces educational videos about environmental, health and safety topics. It also produces commercial corporate videos. To learn more visit www.cochraneassoc.com, www.IAQTV.com or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.